Counselor Education
Frequently Asked Questions

What are my counselor education options?
Two tracks are available: School Counseling Community Agency Counseling

What is the least amount of time it will take me to earn either of these degrees?
Three years.

What will either of these degrees enable me to do?
These Masters degrees will result in your being eligible for licensure as a counselor. Completion of the Masters of Education in School Counseling (along with passing the PRAXIS) makes one eligible to become licensed as a School Counselor in the state of Ohio. Completion of the Masters of Education in Community Agency Counseling makes one eligible to take the National Counselor Examination and become a Professional Counselor in the state of Ohio. Additional post Masters clinical work and supervision, and passing the next test, the National Clinical Mental Health Counselor Examination, makes one eligible to be licensed as a Professional Clinical Counselor

Do I have to be a teacher to be a School Counselor?
No, the licensure law changed several years ago so that non-teachers are eligible to apply for a school counselor license as long as they hold a Masters degree in School Counseling.

I already hold a Masters degree in school counseling or a Masters degree in agency counseling. Must I complete an entire other Masters degree to get licensed in the other specialty area?
No. If you have a Masters of Education in School Counseling and wish to obtain your license as a Professional Counselor, you would enroll as "License Only" and then take the courses required for the Masters of Education in Community Agency Counseling that you did not take as part of your School Counseling curriculum. This includes another full year of internship under the supervision of an appropriately licensed site supervisor. If you have a Masters of Education in Community Agency Counseling and wish to obtain your license as a School Counselor, you would enroll as "License Only" and then take the courses required for the Masters of Education in School Counseling that you did not take as part of your Community Agency Counseling curriculum. This includes another full year of internship under the supervision of an appropriately licensed site supervisor.

How does one get admitted to the program?
There are two levels of admission at CSU. The first is "non-degree" status, meaning that you have not yet been declared, or been accepted into, the degree-seeking programs in Counselor Education. The other is "degree-seeking" meaning that you have been accepted and are in the process of actually completing the degree. Final admission to the program is not official until the student successfully completes the course CNS 620, Laboratory in Counseling Skills, which is only open to those students who have been conditionally admitted as degree seeking.

What is the difference between non-degree and degree-seeking?
Non-degree status means you have been accepted to take some graduate courses at CSU. You can take certain designated courses in any graduate program including Counselor Education.

Is the application process different for non-degree than it is for degree-seeking?
The application process for non-degree status is easy and quick. You just submit your application to Graduate Admissions as non-degree (on-line applications are most efficiently processed), submit your undergraduate transcript, and two letters of recommendation. The application process for degree seeking in Counseling is more involved than it is for other graduate programs. To be considered for admission, applicants must provide the same documents as above (application, undergraduate transcripts, two recommendations) as well as score report from either the Millers Analogy Test or the Graduate Record Exam, and satisfactory completion of the departmental essay exam.

How are degree-seeking applicants evaluated?
Each element of the degree seeking application is assigned a Quality Points score. Quality Points scores are based on a rubric the faculty developed that allow us to assign points for ranges of scores. For example, in the category of undergraduate grade point average, a gpa between 3.9 and 4.0 is given 12 points, 3.79 to 3.89 is given 11 points, and so on. Similar scales exist for every other element of the application as well. Quality points are totaled, and then each applicant's file is reviewed in the context of the total Quality Points as well as the individual pieces of information unique to that individual.

What percentage of people who apply as degree-seeking get accepted?
That number varies from year to year, but the average rate of acceptance is about 75 to 80%.

How often does the faculty admit a group of students?
There are usually one or two groups of students admitted each semester, to begin as degree- seeking the following semester.

I'm a terrible test taker. What if my GRE or MAT score is really low?
A low score on the GRE or MAT does not necessarily prevent you from being admitted because there is no minimum score applicants must achieve. However, if your test score is low, it means that the other components of your application must be strong, i.e. good undergraduate grade point average, strong letters of recommendation, in order for your application to be competitive.

I want to start taking classes as soon as possible. How do I do that?
You can begin as a non-degree student and be taking counseling courses while you are compiling the other pieces of your degree seeking application.

What courses can I take as a non degree student?
CNS 604 CULTURAL AND SOCIAL FOUNDATIONS IN COUNSELING (2 SEMESTER CREDITS): NO PREREQUISITES. This course focuses on multicultural issues in counseling, substance use, abuse, dependence, and gives an overview of topics related to race/ethnicity, gender, age, socio-economic-status, sexual orientation, ability/disability, and spiritual tradition.

CNS 611 INTRODUCTION TO APPRAISAL IN COUNSELING (2 SEMESTER CREDITS): NO PREREQUISITES. This course introduces counseling students to appraisal including psychological and educational testing. The basic elements of test construction, reliability, and validity are covered. In addition, students review major appraisal instruments in the field and examine case studies. From this course the student either takes 701 or the more advanced course 703.

CNS 617 ETHICAL AND LEGAL ISSUES IN COUNSELING (3 SEMESTER CREDITS): NO PREREQUISITES. Introduction to ethical standards in the profession and to relevant research on the ethical behavior of counselors in mental health and school settings. Includes examination of documents and legal decisions relevant to confidentiality, testing, supervision, and research.

CNS 624 CAREER DEVELOPMENT AND INFORMATION SERVICES (3 SEMESTER CREDITS): NO PREREQUISITES. This course offers an intensive study of the psychological and social factors in career development, as well as major theories of career development and how they influence the use of career and educational information in schools and agencies.

EDB 601 EDUCATIONAL RESEARCH (3 SEMESTER CREDITS): An introduction to qualitative and quantitative methods used in educational research. The emphasis is on understanding, interpreting, and critiquing research studies. The role of socio-cultural context in research is considered. The course includes a technology strand where students are introduced to computer technologies useful in research. ETE 501 TECHNOLOGY STRAND (Two semester credits): Must be taken with EDB 601 ALD 603 LIFESPAN DEVELOPMENT (3 SEMESTER CREDITS): Basic introduction to human

How do I find out what courses are offered each semester?
There are two ways. The best way is to go to the CSU homepage and click on the link for "Class Schedule", which lists the upcoming courses scheduled for the following semester. If the schedule for the following academic term has not yet been placed on the CSU website, you can also go to the Master schedule on the Counselor Education homepage. The web address is: .From there you can access a link called "Master Schedule"; this schedule lists all the courses in our curricula, and specifies which semesters they will be offered.

When do the classes meet?
Our classes are always in the evening. There are no daytime class offerings except for those that are offered online which offer some flexibility for when students do the classwork. Classes almost always begin at 4:30, although a few start at 5:00. Three credit classes meet until 7:20, two credit classes until 6:20, and four credi7 classes until 8:20.

Is the class schedule the same in the summer terms?
No, during summer session, three credit classes meet from 4:30 to 8:20 two nights a week, for six weeks.

Can I attend this program part-time?
The majority of our students work during the day and come to school at night. There are some who are full-time students; they comprise about 10 to 15% of all the students enrolled in the two tracks.

How long does it take to complete this program?
Of course it depends on how many courses you take each semester. Most students take between one and three classes a term. Since the School Counseling program is 48 hours in length, it typically takes people between 3 and 4 years. The Agency Counseling program is 60 hours, and so takes about 4 to 5 years going part time.

Who should I contact for more information?
Dr. Elliot Ingersoll (216) 523-7147



Mailing Address
Cleveland State University
College of Education and Human Services
2121 Euclid Avenue
Education Building Cleveland, OH 44115

Campus Location
Julka Hall 210
2485 Euclid Avenue
Phone: 216.687.4612
Fax: 216.687.5379

Paolucci, Maxine
Tel: (216) 687-4613